Saturday, March 3, 2012

My Way of Installing Transmission Client (transmission-daemon)

A few days back, I've discovered a very good torrent client and decided to try it out. It was really good because of one of its feature "transmission-daemon" that enables me to do exactly what I wanted to do on which is to control the torrent movement just by using my website browser. Not to mention that it was very easy to install too:
apt-get install transmission-daemon
But, after sometimes, I accidentally hit the about menu button and saw that I am currently having a version 2.13 of this wonderful client. But when I looked inside the official website, It was version 2.42 and the worst thing is when I looked inside the Debian packages website, It looks like they only make the latest version installable to people who have Ubuntu 12.04 while the one I had is Ubuntu 10.04 (This is the only option I had). So after some more digging, I found out that they post their own packages here. The best thing about this new place is that they released the latest version here in the most lowest operating system it can support which in my case is version 2.42 for Ubuntu 10.04 and Ubuntu 10.10.

So, here is how I installed it:
Go to launchpad.net version of transmission release page
Click the "Read about Installing" and follow the part "On older (pre 9.10) Ubuntu systems".
apt-get install transmission-daemon

How do I change the Configuration Now?

Basically when I've installed transmission-daemon using my method above, I followed exactly like the transmissionbt's wiki said.

To edit the configuration file:

Normally by using "service transmission-daemon start" to start transmission-daemon it would be inside:
nano '/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/settings.json'
But if somehow you used "sudo transmission-daemon" it will be at:
nano '/root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json'
It is better to use the first one. because it is the original file generated right after you've installed transmission.

To make my transmission-daemon reload the configuration file
pkill -HUP transmission-da

But sadly, right after achieving my goal, they released a new version (2.5) and It is no longer supported in Ubuntu Server 10.04.

No comments:

Post a Comment